They won’t be able to host a co-op session upon the release of Dead Island 2 on the base Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles. Instead, they have to rely on players with more recent consoles (from the same console family) to act as hosts.
In a recent blog, developer Dambuster Studios stated that, due to Dead Island 2’s graphic requirements, “the host will need to be on one of the latest generation consoles (PlayStation 5/Xbox Series XS) or Generation 8+ consoles (PlayStation 4 Pro/ Must play on Xbox One X)”. The host can then be joined by two more players.
As such, the game will not be able to host a session at launch on the original PS4 and Xbox One consoles. The developer is working on a solution for this, with plans that everyone playing Dead Island 2 will eventually be able to host a session, regardless of console. Dambuster hasn’t yet given a time frame for this update, saying only that it is planned to arrive “in the future”.
Here’s a full list of the ways you can play Dead Island 2 in co-op at launch (of course, the full game can be played in single-player as well):
- If you’re a PC gamer, you can team up with others or join other PC co-op sessions.
- If you’re an Xbox Series X/S or Xbox One X user, other Xbox Series XS or Xbox One SX players can join you. You can also join other Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One X co-op sessions.
- If you’re a PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 4 Pro user, other PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 4 Pro players can join you. You can also join other PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 Pro co-op sessions.
- If you’re an Xbox One S user, you can join an Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One X co-op session.
- If you’re a PlayStation 4 user, you can join a PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 4 Pro co-op session.
As for progress and achievements, it will all be saved whether you’re a host or a subscriber.
“For example, if you jump into co-op and play the game until the sixth story mission and end your session, when you come back to play — either in single player or co-op — you’ll be able to play through the sixth story mission.” with all your items, stats, etc.,” Dumbstead explained.
However, when this is the case, players cannot jump ahead of themselves when joining a co-op session. This means that if you’re only on mission 3 in Dead Island 2, and your friend who’s on mission 6 asks you to lend a hand in co-op, you won’t be able to join them. The developer does not want players to miss out on “important story beats, leveling up, items, etc.”
You can go back and play earlier missions in co-op, though, if you want to help a friend get to where you are in the game. It won’t affect your own progress, unless you actually play past that point during co-op.
As for your trophies and achievements, “all gamers can unlock achievements/trophies for the missions they complete,” shared Dambuster.
Dead Island 2 releases this Friday (April 21) on PlayStation, Xbox and PC. You can watch its new launch trailer below.
Manage cookie settings