Lakshmi Rebecca from Crimson Bangle sheds gentle on how know-how may be an enabler for storytelling for manufacturers throughout the altering occasions.
What’s storytelling obtained to do with know-how? A LOT – particularly whether it is within the format of a video.
From an advert movie to a documentary, even a company movie or an explainer – making a video includes many transferring elements. The variety of individuals concerned ranges wherever between a couple of individuals to some hundred individuals – coming collectively to create one thing superior. Every particular person brings a selected talent set: a researcher, a scriptwriter, a director, a music composer, an editor – these are only a few examples. And each video is about collaboration – at micro and macro ranges.
So, whenever you discuss know-how that permits the video manufacturing course of and varied ranges of collaboration: the dialogue doesn’t want to start out and cease round a film like Baahubali – the place manufacturing was distributed between specialist studios throughout geographies. I consider that know-how that permits storytelling can trickle down to each video a enterprise ever makes. And it may be about:
- Crowd-sourcing specialist crews
- Democratization of undertaking property
- Enabling creativity and artistic route
- Streamlining commerce
- Course of efficiencies, and extra.
Understanding the Downside: The Shopper Perspective
With near 1,000,000 minutes of video crossing the Web per second, growth-focused manufacturers are investing in video-driven communications like by no means earlier than. From model advertising and marketing, pre-sales, and public relations to expertise acquisition, organizational growth, and even board conferences: 81% of companies at this time use video to gas their communication engine.
However relating to creating movies throughout codecs and geographies: these enterprises hit a wall.
The video market – just like the erstwhile cab and lodge market – is extremely unorganized with a variety of format-focused and location-specific small and medium service suppliers. Whereas being boutique works fantastically for the artistic people, this ecosystem poses a problem to massive enterprises who want movies throughout places and codecs, and to communications groups who’re consistently pressed for time.
Expertise as a Unifier
Companies have been working in an agency-vacuum: big-picture considering round aligning advertising and marketing targets to video codecs and funds spends has sometimes been one-sided. This creates a spot between technique and artistic execution. A know-how unifier that bridges this hole – centralizing property akin to analysis and benchmarking dockets, artistic briefs, and manufacturing plans, may very well be a game-changer.
Whereas firms such because the Colorado-based Crew Connection and the Florida-based ProductionHub bridge the hole between one-off video tasks and discovering specialist consultants to execute them, enterprise clients function at economies of scale. Curation is all the time going to be a real-time problem. There’s additionally the added drawback of readability with reference to tech-riders and spec sheets.
Outlining gear lists, location-specific documentation, making certain the manufacturing effort is aligned to the general undertaking goal, and extra – info trade has traditionally occurred in silos.
There’s one other important piece of the puzzle. A big quantum of data trade occurs on the edit desk. As loopy as it might sound – I’ve personally seen briefs change whereas a undertaking is nearing the end line. The medium for this info trade – backwards and forwards over mails and calls – is an issue that’s price fixing for.
Shotgun By Autodesk and Cage are implausible examples of manufacturing administration options which are making a distinction on this area.
Additionally learn: Opinion: The time for regional content & creators is now and here
Let’s Put This into Context
Let’s take, as an illustration, an enterprise that wants 10 totally different movies for advertising and marketing their newest SAAS product. These would fluctuate throughout genres, codecs, and geographies. This enterprise would require a crew that tackles lots of totally different ache factors, starting from brand-alignment, enterprise and communications understanding, artistic high quality management to undertaking administration, a curated community of crews, and extra.
A busy advertising and marketing supervisor shouldn’t be going to wish to sit and decide the fitting crew for the subsequent shoot and even the fitting scriptwriter for the subsequent video. However they might be joyful to pay the fitting worth for skilled manufacturing and undertaking administration at scale.
Video manufacturing was all the time extremely collaborative. The precise know-how can usher in lots of efficiencies, and resolve a bunch of various issues. A few of these are:
- Discoverability: It takes lots of time to search out the fitting artistic individuals and produce a crew collectively to create one thing new. Expertise can assist curate and join the fitting creatives with the fitting alternative and provide manufacturers all kinds of creatives to work foundation – format, temper, style, business, and placement.
- Critiques: Cloud-based options could make the life of each editor and each reviewer simpler. There are some nice cloud evaluate instruments. For e.g., Body.io and Lookat.io
- File Administration: Whether or not it’s the video manufacturing groups or the manufacturers commissioning movies, a collaborative cloud storage answer akin to The Adobe Expertise Supervisor Property can streamline asset trade – saving time, effort, and capital.
- Commerce: With dozens of people and small studios collaborating on a single video undertaking for one enterprise – figuring the commerce piece and fee processes is essential. There are often many payments to take care of on any given undertaking. The know-how might assist the artistic people deal with the execution and receives a commission on time – with out follow-ups wanted; and assist the two-sided market operate effectively at scale.
- Manufacturing Workflow Administration: Keep in mind once I referred to movies as an amalgamation of assorted transferring elements? I wasn’t simply speaking about visuals and music. I used to be additionally referring to the many individuals whose experience is required to create one video. Scheduling all of those individuals, bringing all of them collectively in the identical place, throughout places and time zones, getting them the documentation required for a shoot, and so forth. may be an absolute nightmare if there isn’t one centralized platform that enables all these capabilities.
Whereas we’ve made vital strides in constructing a platform that plugs an enormous hole out there, I consider now we have an extended journey forward of us – fortifying know-how and introducing newer options as occasions change. So, right here’s to revolutionizing storytelling – one byte at a time.
This text piece is authored by Lakshmi Rebecca, Co-Founder, and Chief Video Accomplice, Crimson Bangle.